Argento Scientific Solvent Capture Systems
Spent chromatography solvents can be volatile and hazardous. Solutions as shown here result in “open” fluidic systems, where solvents and reagents can more readily spill and where vapors evaporating from those liquids can enter the laboratory atmosphere and be inhaled by workers.
Adding to the potential issues is the fact that the EPA specifies using “closed containers” to collect spent organic solvents under Title 40 CFR 261, Subpart D and under CFR 264.173. Failure to comply can result in significant fines.
Argento Scientific offers equipment to capture and monitor solvents until they can be safely disposed.
Solvent Waste Level Detectors
Argento Scientific Solvent Waste Level Detectors are a simple yet essential addition to any solvent waste system. The level detectors are mounted on your solvent waste carboy (using one of our universal manifolds, see below) and detect the level inside the carboy using a float sensor.
Argento Scientific Solvent Waste Level Detectors have the following features:
Avoid dangerous waste solvent overflows
Powered by ambient light - avoid wires, changing batteries, etc.
- Sturdy, inert construction
Buzzer and phone text notification
Easy configuration in single or multiple labs
Typical installation set up of Argento Scientific Solvent Waste Level Detectors
Universal Manifold System
Solvent waste carboys are employed in Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Industrial laboratories and University lab research units across the globe to collect the solvent waste from:
- LC- and ICP-MS
- Flow analyzers
- Protein & DNA synthesis
- And wherever organic hazardous solvent wastes are generated by equipment in less than process-scale quantity
Universal manifold systems from Argento Scientific fit virtually all container types and their modular construction can be easily adapted by the user to fit any container.
HPLC Accessory Kits
HPLC accessory kits include everything that you need to set up your solvent waste carboy to accept solvents leaving your HPLC system. Accessory kits can include the following:
- Manifold cap - we offer different sizes that can accommodate any carboy opening and the manifold has between 4 and 10 ports of different sizes that can accept tubing connections, carbon filters and level detectors
- Fittings kit (see example below)
- Carbon filter and associated color indicator strip that turns color when the carbon filter is saturated
- Level detector sensor that screws into the central port on the manifold cap
- Buzzer that is paired remotely to multiple level detectors and sounds when one or more than one of them are triggered
- Gateway - a centralized wireless router that communicates with sensors and buzzers and enables remote system monitoring by smart phone
In this example this HPLC Waste Accessory kit contains:
- 10-port polypropylene manifold for 70mm threaded carboy - ports included (1) 1/2" NPT, (3) 1/4" NPT, (6) 1/4-28
- Fittings kit (includes selection of connectors in different colors, plugs, barbed adapters for connecting to tubing and a 5ft length of tubing
- Exhaust filter with adapter and color indicator
As waste liquid enters the waste collection vessel air is displaced. That air must be vented from the vessel otherwise liquid won't enter, but that air could be carrying dangerous vapors with it. The Argento Scientific Exhaust Filter is packed with activated carbon and effectively adsorbs organic vapors originating from the collected waste, preventing them from escaping to the laboratory atmosphere.
The special built-in indicator provides a visual cue when the filter needs to be replaced.
Reagent Bottle Caps
Open reagent bottles or those just sealed with foil or film are a potential source of both liquid (if the bottle is knocked over) and vapor leaks. Not only can these chemicals be dangerous but they are also potential red flags for regulatory organizations and can result in fines.
Reagent bottle caps from Argento Scientific provide these features:
- Ensure reagent bottles are sealed
- Caps include integrated PTFE filters - the entering air is filtered so not contaminated
- Secure tubes in place
- Prevent pumps from cavitating
- Block vapors from evaporating (to preserve concentrations)